Get started today on the revolutionary exchange and trading app
By Vanessa Malone
Zug Switzerland, November 12, 2021
THIS BLOG SHALL NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER TO SELL SECURITIES OR THE SOLICITATION OF AN OFFER TO BUY SECURITIES IN ANY JURISDICTION WHERE SUCH OFFER OR SOLICITATION IS NOT PERMITTED. US INVESTORS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO TRADE IN UPSTREAM LISTED SECURITIES. U.S.AND CANADIAN CITIZENS WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO TRADE IN A SECURITY THEY CURRENTLY OWN THAT HAS LISTED ON UPSTREAM FOR LIQUIDATION ONLY.
What is Upstream?
Upstream, a MERJ Exchange Market, is a revolutionary Ethereum-powered exchange and trading app for digital securities. The app-based marketplace facilitates real-time trading and instant settlement of unique asset classes including tokenized IPOs, celebrity ventures, SPACs, crowdfunded companies, equities, and compliant security tokens.
No market makers, no short selling, or other market manipulations. Control your shares directly on your smartphone and experience best bids and offers transparently displayed and executed on a public orderbook to maintain a fair and accessible market.
Experience a marketplace democratized by design and welcome to the future of trading!
Create an account
Trading and account openings are only available through our app. This allows the greatest level of security for your account access using the biometrics on your smartphone. Complete a few pieces of personal information, snap a photo of your ID and a utility bill, then we’ll verify your data, and let you know how to fund your account all from the app. Once approved, you can fund and begin to invest in available quoted securities or deposit your approved shares for resale.
What to have handy
- Photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport
- Utility bill (not older than 3 months)
- Social Security Number (U.S.), or Tax Identification Number (non-U.S.)
- Personal bank account info., Ethereum address, Credit or Debit Card
Here’s how to get started on Upstream step by step
- Download the App from Google Play, Apple Store or Mac App Store. Begin browsing available opportunities immediately. To begin trading, you will be prompted to sign-up and complete the account opening process.
- Tap Sign-Up and go through our streamlined onboarding and identity verification process.
- Tap the camera to take a selfie, enter your Personal Details, Payment Details, and create a Signing Key. Note on the Signing Key — when you join Upstream, you are entering into a non-custodial environment. This means that you control your shares directly on your phone. These shares are protected by your Signing Key which is unlocked with your biometrics each time you make a transaction. A great way to think about your Signing Key is like a Pin Code to your ATM card. It’s critical that you export your Signing Key to a safe place. This way if you lose your phone or forget your password, you’ll be able to recover your digital securities using your Signing Key.
- Once your Signing Key is created, it’s time to verify your identity. On top of compliance regulations, KYC and AML checks help Upstream maintain a fair and secure trading environment. Take a photo of your ID, Utility Bill, and complete the short Video Q&A.
- Next, review Upstream’s terms and sign your signature using your finger.
- Now, upload your details by entering the verification code. Tap Sign & Upload. Your biometrics will unlock your Signing Key and sign your upload. You can save your documents or save the hash logged on an Ethereum blockchain which created an immutable timestamp tied to your submission. Upstream doesn’t store any of your data on a remote server. It’s managed solely by our company, and never outsourced to third-parties.
- Once you submit your identity verification information, you’ll receive an email letting you know when your account has been approved with details on how to fund your account using PayPal. This is the quickest way to fund your account. Login, navigate to the Investor screen on the app, tap Debit or Credit Card, tap Fund with Credit Card and do as prompted. You don’t have to have a PayPal account to fund your account using credit and debit card.
- If you prefer US dollars or USDC, you’ll receive an email from our team with appropriate funding instructions. All Dollar deposits to Upstream accounts, U.S. and non-U.S., will be FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
- As soon as your deposit is received, you’ll receive a push notification from the Upstream app letting you know that your account has been funded and that you’re ready to begin trading shares in tokenized IPOs, celebrity ventures, SPACs, crowdfunded companies, equities, and compliant security tokens.
How to buy shares in an IPO on Upstream
- Navigate to Market and explore available opportunities.
- Tap Buy.
- Enter the amount of shares you’d like to purchase and tap Buy. Your FaceID will unlock your Signing Key and sign your order.
- You can check the status of your order under Orders. Once the offering closes, you will see your shares in your portfolio and be able to trade them on the Market. The money for the desired shares you’d like to purchase will remain on hold in your Upstream account until the IPO closes, or are released if you choose to cancel your order.
- Once the IPO closes, your shares will be allocated to you in your account portfolio and are free to trade.
Here’s where Upstream operates a little differently. Our goal is to provide as many people as possible with at least some shares at the same price and time as Wall Street. This means every investor who wishes to participate before the IPO closes will be able to. For IPOs in high demand, you may not receive all the shares you ordered. If this happens, at the time the IPO closes, then you will be allocated shares on a pro-rata basis and all of your unspent funds will released from hold.
How to purchase NFTs on Upstream
In many of our IPOs, especially fan-driven IPOs across music, entertainment, and sports; issuers also offer exclusive NFTs investors can purchase or bid on. These NFTs could include incredible rewards and fan engagement opportunities tied to the artist, athlete or celebrity venture.
To purchase NFTs,
- Navigate to the Market, tap NFT where you’ll find a list of available digital collectibles. Currently in our NFT market you’ll see NFTs from the FRESH KILLS IPO which includes FRESH NFTs from award-winning artist Gala Mirissa and FRESH-PERK NFTs associated with rewards like livestreams with the creators, walking the red carpet, having your name read out in the film, and even a chance to be in the movie!
- Enter the amount you’d like to purchase the NFT for. The value of your bid will be blocked on your Upstream Account while your bid remains the highest bid during a live NFT Auction. If you are outbid, then the block will be lifted.
- When the Auction closes, you’ll be allocated your NFT.
THIS BLOG SHALL NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER TO SELL SECURITIES OR THE SOLICITATION OF AN OFFER TO BUY SECURITIES IN ANY JURISDICTION WHERE SUCH OFFER OR SOLICITATION IS NOT PERMITTED. US INVESTORS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO TRADE IN UPSTREAM LISTED SECURITIES.